Skills Workshop Three Versatile Actor Dances- Pina Baucsh

 During the improvisation workshops we explored the combination of dance and theatre, with the influences of Pina Baucsh’s style.



 

A particular skill I developed within the workshop was the use of expression. I used this skill to really engage my characterisation and what I was trying to convey throughout this task. We also had to include a range of physical skills in order to complete this task like our body language, timing and gestures. An example of when we had to clearly demonstrate these skills was during an exercise where we had to try and perform a sequence we had made up based on a real fear. However , we had to have our hands tied together behind our backs. This way we had to really illustrate the theme of fear as it consumes you, which was highlighted through the restrictions within our movements, similar to Pina Baucsh. Although I was limited with particular movements in my sequence , I still managed to portray fear through my facial expressions. I would normally demonstrate fear within my sequence during a movement  where I created a contrast from a long movement consisting of stretching my arms and legs out to then almost crumbling to the floor with everything snug and tucked together, whereas due to my locked hands I wasn’t able to fulfil this. This meant I had to intensify the characterisation on my face to make sure I was conveying a wretched manor like no one could comfort me. After this task , we had to create another dance theatre sequence but conveying a different emotion. In this task I worked with Ella, where we had to use four of our own movements and combine them with our partners. We were given then emotion of love, which we skilfully visualised through the eye contact we ensured we were giving each other and more content facial expressions. We also had to include a Pina Baucsh inspired arrangement where we had to touch each other in some way in order to move. Ella and I found this really helped with highlighting our given emotion of love as we could repeat a few of our moves so we could end up next to each other, like Baucsh’s work. I think weconveyed this well, especially when one pushed the other away but then the other caught them and pulled them back together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

22/11 Pied Piper

15/11 Pied Piper duets homework

Matthew Bourne & Fredderick Ashton